Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Army never fails to . . . .

Disappoint.

For the last two weeks, I have been attempting to leave Kuwait on a northbound convoy, and for the slightest few moments this morning, I almost escaped.

By the luck of the draw, I had managed to be assigned as a passenger with the crew that I used to go North with. I felt very blessed to ride with the people that I know and I'm friends with. Smith and myself spent nearly a half hour strapping down my boxes and bags in preparation for our departure. No sooner than I had handed my last bag into the cab of the truck, did my former platoon sergeant walk over to the truck and tell me, completely straight faced, that I would not be leaving today, and that I would need to pull all my bags off of the truck.

Needless to say I was quite angry over the incident, especially after I found out that reason I wasn't on the convoy. . .was that I had to take a mandatory E.O. class. So much for placing the 'mission first.' I'm quite interested to get on the road and see how different things are, or might be, now that control of the country's battlespace has been handed over to the Iraqi government. Luckily for me, there is another convoy leaving shortly, and I'll hop a ride on that one. So, until Baghdad. . .

No comments: