Saturday, August 30, 2008

Boredom

According to my deployment calendar, we're quickly nearing 2 months in theater. That means, we're already 1/5 of the way to being on that big bird home. Okay, so maybe I'm looking too far into the future there, that's not something I'm ready to dwell on. However, it is only three short months before I get to take my leave, and head back to the good ol' U.S. of A. Putting aside all of the thoughts of going home . . .

I'm ready to get the heck off of Arifjan, and go on a mission North, into Iraq. There's only so many times that I can go out to the motor pool, and complete the same six tasks I did the day before. Luckily, we had the better part of today, and all of tomorrow off! It's like we almost have a real weekend. Tomorrow, I believe we're going to go to the pool for some semi-organized PT, and that's all we have on the agenda.

I suppose I've rambled on long enough about my weekend. I hope everyone back home is finding time to enjoy their extended weekend! Happy Labor Day. . .I think.

~Babysitter~

1 comment:

Billgx said...

Eric,

I know what you mean about being bored on deployments. 99% of the time, that's how it is. It's the other 1% that you have to watch out for!

One thing we did when I was underway in the Persian Gulf (I was a Navy sailor) was to make up games to pass the time. We quizzed each other on TV trivia from our childhood to try to stump each other. Do you know on what show you would find a Sleestack?

Another game that I only learned about this year is Booking Bands. Take the name of a book & combine it with the name of a band. "The Who Moved My Cheese" or "Charlie Daniels and the Chocolate Factory" are two examples from the Coudal Partners website.

If it's any consolation, know that one day you'll look back on these days and smile knowing you did a great service to your country. And the boredom will be a dim memory.